Holiday Dangers Tips

• Make certain that electrical cords for holiday lighting are secured and placed or covered such that pets can not chew on them.

• Be aware that many holiday plants including Mistletoe, Poinsettia and Christmas trees (as well as certain plant material in wreaths, dried flowers and potpourri) can cause significant gastric upset or be toxic to your pets.

• Water at the base of Christmas trees can contain chemical compounds that are toxic.

• Be cautious with tinsel, holiday ribbons, string and ornaments as they can cause serious and potentially life threatening intestinal obstructions.

• Avoid feeding table foods to your pets. Besides over-feeding and the possibility of gastrointestinal upset and associated GI problems, some foods, such as chocolate, onions and alcoholic beverages can be toxic to pets. Bones are dangerous and can cause choking hazards, bowel perforations and foreign body obstructions. Advise guests not to give your pets these “holiday treats”.

• Know where your pets are when guests arrive to avoid pets being trapped in cabinets or closets and indoor-only pets from accidentally being let outside.

• Secure Christmas trees and put candles in places where pets will not accidentally knock them over.

• Make certain to enjoy your holidays with your pets and give them a little extra attention.

• If you notice vomiting, diarrhea or any other significant problems, contact your veterinarian immediately.


©2017 Garden Grove Dog & Cat Hospital    Westminster - Stanton - Anaheim - Fountain Valley - Huntington Beach - Santa Ana - Costa Mesa